Thank you for your interest in serving as a NEMP Mentor! This page outlines the resources available to you as a potential NEMP Mentor.
Benefits for the Mentor:
- Satisfaction gained from helping others (Cooper, 1998)
- Share experiences and knowledge
- Gain new and fresh perspectives from the mentee
- Increased exposure within the division
- Opportunity to be a part of improving the employment experience at UNM
First, ensure that you want to serve as a NEMP Mentor by reading the NEMP Mentor Guide.
If you think that NEMP is right for you, then ensure that you meet the following basic eligibility criteria:
- You must be a full-time, regular employee who has worked within a until of the Division of Student Affairs for at least two years.
- Applicants must have supervisor permission to participate as mentors and you need to be able to meet the time commitment for this program.
We are continuously accepting NEMP Mentor Applications! Be The success of this program is based on the quality of the matches that we make, so please take the time to fill out all application materials thoroughly.
Our goal is to create an ideal match between mentors and mentees. We will base matches off of a wide range of criteria including:
- Individual needs and goals of new employees
- The work units of available mentors and mentees
- Compatibility in regards to time and geographic availability of mentors and mentees
- Similarities and differences that are suitable for an ideal match, including hometown, personal interests, academic background, etc.
Once You Have Been Assigned a Mentee
Your most important task as a NEMP Mentor is to reach out to your mentee. Remember, this person is new to the Division and potentially UNM and New Mexico as a whole. Be patient and persistent in arranging your first meeting and commit to a regular meeting schedule that will work for both of you. NEMP will ask you to submit six-month and twelve month review forms to ensure that the experience is a positive one for both of you. You will receive periodic updates and information from NEMP while you are a mentor.
You can serve as a NEMP Mentor for as long as you want. We expect the formal mentoring process to last twelve months, after which you may choose to conclude or continue your mentoring relationship with your mentee or be put into the pool of potential NEMP Mentors for a new employee.