UNM is Tobacco Free
October 28, 2011 - Dorene DiNaro
The University of New Mexico is committed to wellness, prevention, and providing a healthy environment to learn, work and visit. Therefore, on August 1, 2009, the University put a policy in place making the campus “tobacco-free” with smoking permitted only in designated areas.
Please help us remind students, employees and visitors of this policy via your web sites and other internal and external communications. If you see someone smoking on campus in an area not designated for smoking, please point them to a designated smoking area.
UNM Policy 2250 which can be found at http://www.unm.edu/smokefreeamp;#126;ubppm/ubppmanual/2250.htm applies to cigarettes, cigars, pipes, smokeless tobacco and all other tobacco products.
The designated smoking areas on campus are located:
- East side of Zimmerman Library
- Area east of Northrop Hall
- Area near Parking Lot D - between Hokona Hall and Laguna/Devargas suites.
- Area between Coronado Hall and Redondo Village
- Area at the Science & Technology Park
- One area at Student Family Housing
- Under the footbridge over Lomas, on the North side of Lomas
- On the west side of the Richardson Pavilion (west of the ER ambulance entrance)
- Designated areas at the Health Sciences Center
- Designated areas at UNM Stadium
- Designated areas at the Pit
- Area at Continuing Education
For a map of designated smoking areas please visit http://www.unm.edu/smokefree/unm_designated_smoking_areas.pdf