NM Leadership Institute Hosts Weeklong Event on the UNM Campus
June 15, 2016 - Dorene DiNaro
This week, the New Mexico Leadership Institute (NMLI), in collaboration with the University of New Mexico and New Mexico State University, is hosting a weeklong event at UNM for 24 incoming university freshmen scholars as part of its 2016 Summer Leadership Academy.
Nearly 250 highly qualified high school juniors from across New Mexico applied for NMLI, which includes a $15,000 scholarship towards the cost of their education at UNM or NMSU.
New Mexico Leadership Institute’s objective is to provide exceptional high school leaders from across New Mexico with the financial resources, global awareness, and professional networks required to succeed in a competitive and knowledge-based economy. The objective is to develop future leaders with a strong work ethic, creative solutions, and the ability to work successfully in a changing and diverse world. The incoming NMSU and UNM freshmen will participate in a supportive campus experience that will prepare them to meet their long-term goals as lifelong learners in academic and personal achievement, career and leadership, as well as foster a commitment to community and service.
This multi-faceted leadership program includes participating in several components including:
- First Academy - NMLI scholars participated in 6 days of training last summer before their senior of H.S. on the NMSU campus.
Yearlong challenge/monthly projects - NMLI scholars will develop leadership skills through service projects.
- Second Academy - NMLI scholars will participate in 6 days of training the summer before their freshmen year of college.
- College years - On-campus leadership training; $15,000 scholarship payable over a four-year period for students meeting the terms of the scholarship.
- Internships - Available through NMLI’s business/civic organization partners.
- Employment after graduation - Use the skills/knowledge gained through NMLI to advance the state’s economy as a New Mexico Fellow.
This year's Summer Academy will conclude with a poster presentation, banquet and presentation of certificates on Saturday, June 18 from 11:00 a.m. to 2 p.m.